The rock chapel is located in the Außergschlöß, the most beautiful valley end of the Alps.
After a devastating fire, which destroyed 23 alpine huts, the alpine owners built the first chapel in honour of the Queen of Heaven in 1688. The chapel was twice destroyed by avalanches. The current chapel was built in 1870 into a natural cave and can thus no longer be destroyed by alpine disasters. A daintily shaped figure of Virgin Mary from the first chapel can still be admired today in the rock chapel.