Enjoy for 3 ore 7 days 26 excursion destinations.
We have something extra special for our Osttirol friends, fans, and guests: the memory-function on our website.
To the north of Matrei in East Tyrol, right on the Felbertauernstraße, sitting enthroned on a limestone cliff, which is steeply sloping on one to two sides, is Castle Weißenstein. This original castle presided over Matrei’s valley basin and at one time kept watch over the Tauernpass. It is 900 years old and dates from the 14th century, retaining its name today. Among others, it has been the headquarters of government offices, in 1823 it came to be owned by the district and was used as a retirement home (abandoned again since heating could not be provided) and since 1865 is has been privately owned (Baron Mengershausen, the Thieme family).
No visits are available, since it is privately owned, but a worth through the castle garden is still worthwhile. Originally it was a medieval castle and has been known as Weißenstein since the 14th century. The actual castle area has long been made up of three towers, the great hall with its room on the third storey, a kitchen section, circular walls, a chapel and two turrets opening inwards. This building was however later extended.